11 Essential Tips for Hitting the College Fairs
College fairs can be a great resource to help evaluate your school options. Here are 11 Essential College Fair Tips from Partners For Achievement.
- Find out which colleges will be at the college fair and make a list of the schools you are interested in.
- Make a list of questions beforehand.
- Fill out the school specific postcards or register online for the fair to receive a barcode for easy onsite access to college representatives. Print the barcode and bring it to the fair as your electronic ID. Online registration leaves more time for you to meet one-on-one with admission representatives.
- Make sure your email address isn’t embarrassing. College admissions officers will see it.
- Get a map of the fair and plan a route. If a map is not available, survey the room to locate your colleges.
- Visit booths and ask college representatives questions like, “What kind of student are you looking for?” or “What makes your campus special?”
- Before moving on to the next college booth, jot down any information you think is important.
- Attend the information session to learn more about the college search process, financial aid, and other topics.
- After the fair, consider which colleges stood out and why. Make note of your reasons and keep it on file.
- Recycle the pamphlets from schools you’re not interested in.
- Dig in deeper on the colleges you’re interested in by visiting their websites and learning more.
Jennifer Taylor is the Essay and Editorial Director at Partners For Achievement. Read more about Taylor and the rest of the Partners For Achievement team.